Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Web Design

Every year in the late summer I go looking for the orb weavers. Fortunately we have lots of trees and brush areas and we find them pretty readily. (In the case of this lovely, all we needed was a Little Tykes playhouse!) The varying spiders that create and inhabit the orb webs range in size, color and beauty but not in talent or skill. We once had an emerald green orb weaver design a gorgeous web in our house. I had taken a large plant out for sun and rain and when I brought it in, it wasn't alone. I did take that spider out and she made several more orb webs on a small evergreen outside our door.

My favorite of these weavers is this little lady.
I think it is her girth that endears her to me. She is round and furry and when I first got near her web a couple of weeks ago she would tumble and then scurry up to her hiding place. She seemed so awkward, my heart went out to her. I've been watching her web for several weeks now. She even had a much smaller male visitor for a day or two. I never saw the lovebirds together, but he certainly enjoyed dining on her evening collections.

Hopefully you can get an idea of a feat these silken masterpieces are from these photos. Or better yet you  have one just outside your front door, garden gate or wherever that you can spy in person.


I'm never short on amazement or gratitude when I step out of my home and catch glimpses of how others live so beautifully.

2 comments:

  1. I once heard a crafter on tv explain how she felt spider webs were a work of art. So she starting captureing spider webs, and pressed them between glass. Then she framed them, and they stayed just as they were in the trees. She said the best time to do this was early in the morning when there was dew on the trees. She said she did not harm the spiders, she just captured their webs.

    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this...we have a lovely web outside my window...it's gorgeous and almost domed...
    like you little story of her male visitor...and their dinners...so cute:)

    ReplyDelete